Memorial Day weekend has arrived and you are looking for some healthy burger options so you can still get your grill on while not starting summer off with an expanded waistline. Check out my healthy turkey burger recipe below that is not only tasty, but is low in calories and fat, but high in protein and good carbs.
Think you can't get a turkey burger as juicy as it's beef counterpart? Think again. The trick here is in the oats. By soaking the oats in some milk for 5 - 10 minutes and that putting them in the burger party, they create a juicy and moist burger that will totally satisfy.
Another thing to note to ensure the burger is as healthy as possible, you need to get the "Extra Lean" ground turkey breast which is 99% lean. If you make the mistake and get the other Ground Turkey you are could be consuming an additional 100 calories and 15 grams of fat. Check it out:
99% Extra Lean: 120 calories and 1.5g fat
93% Lean: 170 calories and 8g fat
85% Lean: 220 calories and 17g fat
Here in the States you find Jennie-O 99% Extra Lean Turkey Breast at most grocery stores and supermarkets.
Adam's Famous Turkey Burgers
Makes 2 burgers
- 1/2 Pound 99% Extra Lean Turkey Breast
- 2 whole wheat burger buns
- 1/4 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of skim milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 medium red onion finely minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (adjust for taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of egg whites or egg substitute
- Additional toppings: lettuce, tomato, low fat cheese, ketchup, mustard
1. Soak the oats in milk for 5 - 10 minutes
2. Strain milk from oats
3. Combine the oats, turkey, onion, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, ketchup, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder and egg whites in a large bowl and mix well.
4. Form two patties
5. Heat a non stick pan on medium heat and cook the patties. Make sure you use a non stick pan with a lid and place the lid on the pan while cooking. This will make sure the patties cook evenly and retain their moisture.
6. Turn patties and cook other side
7. Brown whole wheat buns and serve with optional toppings
One of the most important ingredients here is the lemon zest. Make sure you include this as in my opinion it's what makes the burgers. I've made them before without the zest and they simply don't taste as good. You'll also notice that I don't include any salt. Feel free to add a little if you must but they don't really need it.
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and happy grilling!
Healthy Boy x